Sunday, October 25, 2009

Thoughts of the Future

Yesterday, I was in the car with my Mom. She was taking me back to my apartment after spending a few hours at her place. We weren't really talking much. It wasn't an awkward or uncomfortable silence. We were just tired.

Then, in my head, I started thinking about how I should come out to my Mom.

Mom, we need to talk. You're not going to like what I'm about to tell you, but there's nothing you or anyone else can do to change it...

Thankfully it was dark, so she couldn't see how red my ears got just at the thought of it. I wanted to say it right then, but I knew that was a terrible place and an inconvenient time. So I still don't know when I will come out to Mom, but at least I have decided how I'm going to start it.

Sorry this isn't a very interesting post. I just felt the need to put it down in words. And it's not like I have that many readers anyway.

-PW

1 comment:

Julia Gayden Nelson said...

I read.

*hugs*

I'm glad you're finding ways to deal with coming out to your Mom. I can't imagine what it must be like, and I'm... I'm some word between amazed and impressed. I've always known my family was different, but I guess I never really thought about it in terms of the experiences of other families. In my family, if you're gay they say "Cool. Met anyone you like?" And you go "...uh..." and they want you to bring them to dinner. Part of me hopes that my brother or one of his children or my children turns out to be gay, so that all of this tolerance isn't wasted on a bunch of straight kids. But it's good for kids to be what they are, even if it's straight. :P. I know my parents' reaction because for a while they thought I was dating Bonnie and they were just waiting for me to speak up about it.

I'm sorry the right moment hasn't come up yet for you to talk to your Mom about it.

Sending good thoughts your way.
-turtle